Online 3-Day Indigo Class with Aboubakar Fofana is a wonderful opportunity to learn the from this extraordinary visionary artist. Aboubakar is offering a number of 3-Day Indigo workshops throughout the summer. All sessions are conducted over Zoom videoconferencing and are 3 days, 3 hours per session.
Online 3-Day Indigo Class
The 3-Day Indigo Class with Aboubakar Fofana focuses on powdered indigo and setting up a fructose vat. He will teach you to use environmentally (and skin!) friendly techniques. Unlike fermented, pounded indigo leaves, powdered indigo is quite easy to source. The fructose vat is also relatively straightforward to put together and to use. This workshop will explain the unique chemistry of indigo and principles of setting up and caring for a fructose vat.
Over three days, Aboubakar shows participants how to prepare powdered indigo and how to set up the dye vat, which each person will create at home. They will then dye a set of color gradation samples, and work on a larger project with Aboubakar’s assistance. Participants will come away with enough knowledge to maintain their vats and start working with indigo. In addition, they will have a deeper understanding of how indigo works. They will learn how to achieve the best color-fast, light-fast and even results with this ancient and singular dye-stuff.
This workshop will be repeated during the summer and the first class is scheduled for June 12, 13 and 14 (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) from 8AM Pacific to 11AM Pacific. The class timing is due to the fact that Aboubakar is currently in France and this will accommodate his time zone.
Please note that due to international shipping restrictions, the class is open to students in the United States only. We may be able to accommodate students from other regions for future workshops. Thank you for understanding.
The workshop is open to all skill levels. We will provide sample fabrics for dipping, indigo and vat ingredients. Students will receive indigo and auxiliaries shipped to them prior to the class session. There is also a supply list of additional equipment required to create your own vat. Students will work on an individual final project using their own fabric under Aboubakar’s guidance. Please note that this workshop is not intended for extended, large-scale indigo dipping, but is an inquiry into the techniques and practice of indigo from the unique perspective of an artist. Aboubakar will also share his experiences as an indigo farmer and his production workshop in Mali.
The workshop includes
- Three days online intensive study with Aboubakar on indigo dyeing, 3 hours per session
- The workshop includes a class moderator and a Teaching Assistant
- The class will be recorded and made available to participants
- Indigo, auxiliaries and sample fabrics provided and shipped to participants
- Aboubakar will present videos and stories of his indigo atelier, farm and projects
- Aboubakar will demonstrate techniques and answer questions during the Zoom session.
- We recognize that our lives have been severely disrupted and that this class may be out of financial reach for marginalized artists, especially Black, Indigenous, LatinX and other POC. We are offering a limited number of partial scholarships to join these classes. If you are interested, please email [email protected] to receive an application.
Cancellation and refunds
All sales are final. This workshop is non-cancellable and non-refundable.
Botanical Colors reserves the right to cancel classes in the unlikely event of circumstances beyond our control. So if a class is cancelled, Botanical Colors’ responsibility and liability are limited to a refund of class fees. In addition, we will send you a check within 30 days of cancellation.