Online 3-Day Indigo Class with Aboubakar Fofana is a wonderful opportunity to learn the from this extraordinary visionary artist. Aboubakar is offering a number of 3-Day Indigo workshops throughout the summer. All sessions are conducted over Zoom videoconferencing and are 3 days, 3 hours per session.
Online 3-Day Indigo Class
The 3-Day Indigo Class (Saturday July 18, Sunday July 19, Monday July 20) from 8AM Pacific to 11AM Pacific with Aboubakar Fofana focuses on powdered indigo and setting up a fructose vat. He will teach you to use environmentally (and skin!) friendly techniques. Unlike fermented, pounded indigo leaves, powdered indigo is quite easy to source. The fructose vat is also relatively straightforward to put together and to use. This workshop will explain the unique chemistry of indigo and principles of setting up and caring for a fructose vat.
Over three days, Aboubakar shows participants how to prepare powdered indigo and how to set up the dye vat, which each person will create at home. They will then dye a set of color gradation samples with Aboubakar’s assistance. If there is time, students will work on a larger individual project. Participants will come away with enough knowledge to maintain their vats and start working with indigo. In addition, they will have a deeper understanding of how indigo works. They will learn how to achieve the best color-fast, light-fast and even results with this ancient and singular dye-stuff.
The class timing is due to the fact that Aboubakar is currently in France and this will accommodate his time zone.
We are now welcoming students from Europe and beyond and will ship materials to you where feasible. If it is not possible to send you materials, you may still participate if you can procure the ingredients locally. Please contact [email protected] for details.
The workshop is open to all skill levels. We will provide sample fabrics for dipping, indigo and vat ingredients. Students will receive indigo and auxiliaries shipped to them prior to the class session. There is also a supply list of additional equipment required to create your own vat. Students will work on indigo dipping techniques: how to dip, how to achieve a light to dark color range, how to prepare and finish fabrics and special notes on using yarn or longer lengths of fabric. Please note that this workshop is not intended for extended, large-scale indigo dipping, but is an inquiry into the techniques and practice of indigo from the unique perspective of an artist. Aboubakar will also share his experiences as an indigo farmer and his production workshop in Mali.
The workshop includes
- Three days online intensive study with Aboubakar on indigo dyeing, 3 hours per session
- The workshop includes a class moderator/Teaching Assistant
- Indigo, auxiliaries and sample fabrics provided and shipped to participants.
- Aboubakar will present videos and stories of his indigo atelier, farm and projects
- Aboubakar will demonstrate techniques and answer questions during the Zoom session.
A complete materials list will be sent to you upon registration and includes the following:
- Long Handled Stirring Spoon
- Mortar and Pestle (heavy 5-7 inch/13-18 centimeters)
- Kitchen Scale that weighs in grams
- Paper towels
- Access to boiling hot water
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 clean 5 gallon (20 liter) buckets with lids
- We recognize that our lives have been severely disrupted and that this class may be out of financial reach for marginalized artists, especially Black, Indigenous, LatinX and other POC. We are offering a limited number of partial scholarships to join these classes. If you are interested, please email [email protected] to receive an application. Please note if you are not selected for this workshop, we retain your application for consideration for the other indigo workshops being offered this season.
Cancellation and refunds
All sales are final. This workshop is non-cancellable and non-refundable.
Botanical Colors reserves the right to cancel classes in the unlikely event of circumstances beyond our control. So if a class is cancelled, Botanical Colors’ responsibility and liability are limited to a refund of class fees. In addition, we will send you a check within 30 days of cancellation.