Master Class Construction Techniques with Aboubakar Fofana: Create a pair of Stripcloth Trousers
We are excited to announce an online workshop: Construction Techniques with Aboubakar Fofana: Create a Pair of Stripcloth Trousers 6-Day Construction Techniques with Aboubakar Fofana. Tuesday June 22 through June 27. This class will use traditional Malian finimugu (stripcloth) to create a custom-fit, hand stitched pair of trousers. Aboubakar has a pair he has worn for 20 years and they only get softer and softer. The trousers are a unisex design with gussets for ease. The pattern is comfortably fit through the hips and tapers to the ankle. The waist is easily adjusted with a hand twisted drawstring. Each participant will learn how to measure and create a simple pattern, then cut and join the panels to make the trousers. We will learn the specific stitches for joining and hemming the garment.
Each participant will receive enough meters of handwoven stripcloth to make the trousers according to Aboubakar’s design. Aboubakar will instruct you how to join panels and hem the fabric. Gussets will add ease, comfort, and visual interest.
This is a rare opportunity for an in-depth exploration using traditional finimugu (Malian cotton strip cloth) for individual creative expression. All the raw materials are plant-based, undyed and organically sourced. The finimugu is part of a project that Aboubakar has worked on for years and forms the basis for all of his custom designs. The workshop is 6 days, 3 hours per day. It will be taught online from Aboubakar’s atelier in France, or from his legendary studio in Bamako, Mali via Zoom. The class is conducted in English and is not recorded per the artist’s request. We will also have a TA and moderator available for this workshop who will forward class notes and any supporting information to the participants.
Participants will receive enough meters of handspun, handwoven traditional Malian cotton strip fabric (finimugu) to construct their trousers according to Aboubakar’s design with room for alterations and custom fitting. We will also send you a materials list upon registration for items to have ready for the workshop.
Please note that we are working with undyed fabric and will NOT be using indigo in this workshop, but it is possible to dip your trousers after it is complete in your own vat. Aboubakar recommends a vat size of 100 liters. If you are a mineral mud dyer, it is also possible to mineral mud dye the tunic. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
- We use Zoom videoconferencing for all classes. Please ensure that you have an online internet connection with video to be able to view Aboubakar. He will demonstrate all the techniques using a close-up camera. Also make sure that Aboubakar can view your work when requested, and lighting will be important for this. We will send you information on how to prepare your workspace including a materials list.
- This class is open to international and North American students. International students, please register by May 3 to ensure your materials are sent to you in time. Class dates are Tuesday June 22 through June 27. Please note the start time, which is at 8AM Pacific, 11AM Eastern, 5PM France. The class lasts 6 days for approximately 3 hours per session.
- Non-US participants: Please register by Friday June 4 so we can ship class materials to you via DHL. Shipping charges are approximate and we will contact you for additional shipping arrangements if necessary. Please allow 5-10 days for materials to reach you. Duties and taxes (if any) will be paid by you.
The workshop includes:
- Six days intensive study with Aboubakar: June 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and 27 (Tuesday through Sunday) from 8AM-11AM Pacific.
- Finimugu fabric to make a pair of finimugu trousers according to Aboubakar’s pattern. You will receive approximately 11 meters of finimugu to construct your trousers (a $289 value in materials).
- Aboubakar will provide the updates on the farm and his latest projects.
- We conduct all classes in English.
- We ship all materials from the US and may incur additional shipping charges for international destinations.
All sales are final. This workshop is non-cancellable and non-refundable. We are not able to accommodate schedule changes.
Installment payments are available. Please contact [email protected] for information.
We will provide limited partial scholarships for this class, with the intention of increasing diversity to traditionally marginalized artists. Please fill out this scholarship application form if you would like to be considered. We will award the scholarships by May 1, so it is important to submit your application early. We will keep your application for consideration for future workshops.