4-Day Indigo Intensive with Aboubakar Fofana
August 12, 13, 14 and 15 (Wednesday-Saturday)
Aboubakar will work with students to set up a larger vat, learn its shade range through careful dyeing to achieve 7 shades, and then demonstrate several shibori and resist methods to add pattern to your indigo vocabulary.
Each student will receive enough indigo to make a 10 gallon or 35 liter vat. All the materials are plant or earth-based and organically sourced. The workshop is held for 4 days, 3 hours per day and will be taught online from Aboubakar’s atelier in France. He lives in a 12th century village with an ancient chapel and it is a serene location with old stone walls, cooing doves and distant church bells.
Indigo will feature prominently in this class and requires that you have room for a large vat (approximately 10 gallons or 35 liters). Please contact [email protected] with any questions on supplies. We will send out a materials list and ship workshop dyes to you.
- The class will be held via Zoom videoconferencing. Please ensure that you have the ability to have an online internet connection with video to be able to view Aboubakar as he will demonstrate all the techniques using a close-up camera. Also make sure that Aboubakar can view your work when requested, and lighting will be important for this. We will send you information on how to prepare your workspace including a materials list.
- This class is open to international and North American students. Class dates are Wednesday August 12 -Saturday August 15. Please note the start time, which is at 8AM Pacific, 11AM Eastern, 5PM France. The class lasts 4 days for approximately 3 hours per session.
- Non-US residents: we will ship class materials to you via DHL. Shipping charges are approximate and we will contact you for additional shipping if necessary. Please allow 5-7 days for materials to reach you. Duties and taxes (if any) will be paid by you.
The workshop includes
- Four days intensive study with Aboubakar: Wednesday August 12 – Saturday August 15.
- Enough indigo to construct a 1-2-3 vat of approximately 10 gallons (35 liters)
- Aboubakar will present videos on his work, his atelier and indigo farm in Mali.
- Classes are conducted in English.
- All materials will be shipped from the US and may incur additional shipping charges for international destinations.
All sales are final. This workshop is non-cancellable and non-refundable. We are not able to accommodate schedule changes.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer any discounts, work-study or scholarships to this workshop. Contact us for any inquiries or questions about the workshop.